Many of use are sprucing up our kids’ gear for the school season. If you’re looking for lunch containers for school, snacks, and/or work, I’ve found some great sets! And, the bonus is that they are toxin-free and super convenient!
My favorite food containers are made of food-grade stainless steel (as opposed to plastic or glass), and here is why:
1. They don’t contain PVC, BPA, melamine, phthalates, lead, or other hazardous chemicals commonly found in plastics.
2. They are super light (unlike glass containers).
3. They don’t stain, unlike reusable sandwich bags. (They also protect your food from getting squashed, which baggies don’t do.)
4. They are easy to clean and dishwasher-safe.
5. They are reusable and will last a long time. Good for the wallet, great for the environment!
6. They are durable and won’t warp or break.
There are MANY options out there, but here are two sets I am enjoying now. I like sets that come with variously sized containers because they are so versatile: I’ll always have the right size for whatever I am packing that day.
Great for little kids:
MIRA Brands 3-Container Leak Proof Stainless Steel Lunch box
I love this nesting set, consisting of three small containers perfect for little kids’ lunches. All three can fit into a kids’ lunch bag. For example, I’ll use the largest one for cut up veggies, the smallest one for chumus or guacomole, and the middle one for fruit. The covers seal pretty well–I wouldn’t put liquid in them, but yogurt and dips are well-contained and won’t leak through.
Great for bigger kids and adults:
U Konserve Eggplant Square Leak-Proof Nesting Trio, Set of 3
This is another nesting set. The smallest container fits a sandwich perfectly, so I use it for both little-kid and adult lunches. The medium and large are great for salads and any leftovers.
Other fun and useful options:
Bento box, anyone?
LunchBots Trio Stainless Steel Food Container
Deco Stacking Lunch Box
And, perfect for soups…
Thermos FOOGO Stainless Steel Food Jar
Photo credit for header: http://www.kidsfoodalert.com